Written by Sammy Jacobs (@Hoosier_Huddle)
Spring Practice Day Three Notables
The Hoosiers were back on the practice field on a day that felt more suited for skiing than spring football. However, it was toasty inside the Mellencamp Pavilion as the Hoosiers put on the shoulder pads for the first time this spring. Here are my observations as well as quotes from players and coaches.
· The Hoosiers were in shoulder pads today and the physicality of practice picked up.
· There is a lot of individual work going on before team drills. The offensive line was working on double-team blocks while line backers were working on run-game fits.
· The quarterback reps were about equal as all three worked with each unit.
· James Miller had the play of the day with a pick-six off of a tipped ball.
· Practice got chippy as players are competing to get the team where it needs to be.
· According to OC Kalen DeBoer, today was “Install Day 3”.
· The defense forced at least four takeaways
· Miles Marshall was singled out by Coach DeBoer after practice. He made several nice catches in team drills.
· The sophomores-to-be have grown up quickly
Coach DeBoer Quotes
· On first impressions of the quarterbacks: “They all bring a little something to the table. Experience, especially out of Peyton (Ramsey). I have been impressed with Jack’s (Tuttle) arm strength. Then Mike (Penix) you can see he kind of has that ‘it’ factor too as far as how he throws the ball as well. They’re all going to make mistakes here at this time. They are all learning new verbiage, a couple different concepts, things like that. They’re all going to make their mistakes, but they’ve all had their highlights already as well.”
· On throwing the ball down field: “I think that’s just part of it. We’ve hit some play action shots in each of the last, all three practices actually. It’s part of when you get a run game going. To me the explosive plays aren’t always about throwing it all the way down field. It’s about timing and accuracy, good protection and everyone trusting each other. If you hit guys on the run, great yards after catch can happen.”
· DeBoer likes the length of the wide receivers as well as their aggressiveness.
Coach Hiller Quotes
· On the first couple days for the Offensive line: “Today was the first day we had some real physical contact. I thought today they responded pretty (well). The first two days it was very hard because we did not have pads on and it looked a little messy.”
· On freshman Matthew Bedford: “He is who we thought he was.”
· On moving guys around: “That’s what spring ball is about. We are moving some guys around, trying to find the right combination, the right fits for those guys. It’s been really good for us, especially the young kids.”
Nick Westbrook Quotes
· On attacking the offseason: “1-0, my whole mindset going into this year and this past offseason with the winter workouts has just been ‘Why Not?’ Why not do everything you can to make this team better, to do everything I can to make myself better and do everything I can to win some ball games.”
· On the “chippiness” of practice: “It’s not encouraged, it’s not something that Coach Allen is trying to impose on everybody, but it is kind of showing the intensity that everybody wants to get better and wants to play hard and wants to make sure they’re doing everything right. You can just tell everyone is passionate about what they’re doing. That’s why it gets so chippy.”
Mentioned: James Miller, Kalen DeBoer, Peyton Ramsey, Jack Tuttle, Michael Penix, Miles Marshall, Darren Hiller, Matthew Bedford