Written By Sammy Jacobs (@Hoosier_Huddle)
Heading into 2014 the biggest question facing the Hoosiers was could their defense be good enough to win some games? There have been many changes on that side of the ball as Brian Knorr brings his 3-4 defense from Wake Forest to inject a little life into the IU D. Here are five players that Hoosier fans should keep an eye out for on defense.
1. Tim Bennett, CB- Bennett was one of the few bright spots on a lousy defense last season. He led the nation with 20 pass break ups and recorded one interception. The Georgia native will be the number one corner this season and look to make more big plays. If Bennett can be the shut down corner he has shown flashes of, it will free up some other defenders to rush the passer.
2. Ralph Green III, DT- The big man in the middle is the key to the Hoosiers having a successful transition to the 3-4. He had a tremendous freshman year winning Freshman Player of the Week against Ohio State. Green needs to continue to get into the backfield and creating big plays.
3. David Cooper, LB- The senior linebacker is the leader of the defense. He finished first on the team with 85 tackles. Cooper can play with the best of them, but needs to be able to create turnovers and leave Bloomington with a bang and a bowl game.
4. Antonio Allen, S- Allen missed the second half of his freshman year with a knee injury, but he is back healthy now. He will try and replace emotional leader Greg Heban. Allen is a tough kid who knows how to lay the hammer down on defense. If he can stay healthy he will be a major player in the IU secondary.
5. T.J. Simmons, LB- Simmons was thrust into action at middle linebacker as a true freshman and he acquitted himself nicely. Simmons looks the part and should be even better as a sophomore. Creating turnovers and being more aggressive should be his number one priority.